Getting financial help for your child with special needs

Getting financial help for your child with special needs

If you have a child with special needs, you know better than most that you’re faced with a lot of extra costs. Fortunately, there’s help.

Some programs for families such as yours are based on income. Others aren’t. But almost all will want your doctor to confirm that your child has special needs before they’ll consider your request for help.

To find out what’s available in our community, speak with your child’s doctor, therapists or social workers. They’re all potentially good sources of information. The Children’s Community Network (CCN) helps families find the right services and supports for their children with special needs. You can talk to your CCN service coordinator or call the intake line at 705-566-3416 to see if they can help you connect to any of the following supports.

Here are some of the supports you may want to check out:

The City of Greater Sudbury’s Child Care Subsidy program helps families who qualify financially, by paying part or all of their child care costs for children up to 12, or up to 18 if the child has special needs.

You may be eligible for help from the Ministry of Children and Youth if you’re caring for your child at home, too, especially if your child has a severe disability.

If you’re looking for someone to temporarily take care of your child in order for you to have a bit of a break, the Children’s Community Network offers direct funded respite that allows you to hire a temporary care giver. Enhanced respite is offered by the Community Care Access Centre.

If you’re looking for help in buying equipment or making modifications to your home or car, check out Easter Seals Ontario, Muscular Dystrophy Canada, the Ontario March of Dimes and the Ontario Federation for Cerebral Palsy.

Remember that it’s important to ask for funding help before you buy an item or modify your home or car. Most programs will not reimburse something that’s not received prior approval.

The Ontario government has a program that helps families pay for assistive devices, including home oxygen. The government’s Northern Health Travel Grant Program can help cover some of the cost of medical-related travel. And the Trillium Drug Program can help with the cost of prescription medication.

Easter Seals offers the Access 2 Entertainment, and Disability Travel Card which can help by reducing the ticket price for the support person for a person with a disability at many entertainment venues and on coach buses and trains.

The Human League Association of Sudbury helps financially disadvantaged families cover the cost of registration fees for recreational programs.

The federal government offers a generous disability tax credit and a registered disability savings plan. These are important, long term supports for children with disabilities. Make sure you find out if your child is eligible for these. 

There’s help from the private sector, too.

Check out the President’s Choice Children’s Charity and the Ten Rainbows Children’s Foundation.

Many local service clubs offer help, too. The City's Leisure Guide includes a list of service clubs in Greater Sudbury.

The Children's Community Network's FINDS Directory is another valuable resource. Be sure to have a look.



This content was prepared and reviewed by the City of Greater Sudbury and its partners. However, it should not take the place of advice from your health care provider or other professionals working with you and your child. 

Notice a broken link or an error or omission in this content? Email to let us know.