Getting help when your child is sick

If your child is in urgent need of medical care, visit a walk-in clinic, call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest hospital .

If you’re not facing an urgent situation, you may want to look at all your health care options.

The Sudbury and District Health Unit’s nurse-on-call telephone support service can help you identify the signs and symptoms of common childhood illnesses, and what to do about them.

To speak with a nurse 24/7, call Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 or TTY 1-866-797-0007.

Here are some other reliable resources:

  • What you need to know about fever  is an info sheet created by the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario. 
  • Here’s a list of the most common childhood illnesses and how to deal with them from the Canadian Pediatric Society.
  • Trusted answers about a wide range of childhood conditions and diseases from The Hospital for Sick Children can be found here
  • And here’s information about financial support that’s available to parents with sick children in Ontario.



This content was prepared and reviewed by the City of Greater Sudbury and its partners. However, it should not take the place of advice from your health care provider or other professionals working with you and your child. 

Notice a broken link or an error or omission in this content? Email to let us know.