Addressing your concerns about child care

Addressing your concerns about child care

If you have questions or concerns about the quality of care your children are receiving at a licensed child care centre, licensed home, or a private home daycare, and you’re unsure about who you should be speaking with to discuss your concerns, you’ve come to the right place.

Concerns about licensed child care centres and family homes

The Ontario Ministry of Education is responsible for licensing child care centres. It has this advice for parents who are concerned about a child care centre. The first step is almost always to talk to the centre’s educator or supervisor.

If you’ve been unable to resolve an issue with your child care centre’s supervisor, get in touch with the City of Greater Sudbury’s Children Services unit. Dial 311 to connect with someone who’s familiar with all of the city’s licensed child care centres and who can help you address your concerns.

Concerns about private, unlicensed home daycares

If you have concern about an unlicensed private home daycare- for example, a home daycare that is caring for more than five children or providing an unsafe environment for children- you should call the Ministry of Education's Child Care Quality Assurance and Licensing Office at (705) 564-8153 ext 3308 to let them know. Because this type of care is not regulated, private homes are only investigated if a complaint comes from the public.

Finding quality child care

For information about what to look for in quality child care, check out the section of this site titled Choosing Quality Child Care  If you have a concern about the Child Care Registry’s centralized waiting list system, or if you’re having problems getting access to child care, contact Children Services at the City of Greater Sudbury by calling 311. 

Finally, go here to learn more about what the Province of Ontario is doing to support quality child care.



This content was prepared and reviewed by the City of Greater Sudbury and its partners. However, it should not take the place of advice from your health care provider or other professionals working with you and your child. 

Notice a broken link or an error or omission in this content? Email to let us know.