Finding activities for kids with special needs

Finding activities for kids with special needs

More and more recreational opportunities are opening up within our community for children with special needs. And, an increasing number of regular recreational programs are showing an interest in working with families to see that children with special needs are part of the fun. Ask the organization your child is interested in to see how your child could participate.

The Children’s Treatment Centre, Child and Community Resources, Easter Seals Ontario, CNIB and Autism Ontario- Sudbury Chapter are among the agencies and organizations in our community that offer special recreational programming to children with special needs. Each agency has its own requirements to participate, so it’s best to check with the agency to see if your child is eligible.

The Sudbury Accessible Sports Council promotes a list of adapted sports for people with special needs. Many, including sledge hockey, horseback riding, cross country skiing, rowing and Special Olympics, are open to children. 

If there are registration fees, the Canadian Tire Jumpstart Program can help disadvantaged families cover the costs.

And, here’s another recreational opportunity. The Nickel District Pool in New Sudbury and the R.G. Dow Pool in Copper Cliff offer weekly special needs swims. For information call (705) 674-4455 ext. 2446 or visit

Licensed child care centres across the city provide high quality recreation-based summer programs for children aged 4 to 12 -and provide extra support if needed for kids with special needs at no additional charge. You can find and apply for all programs at . And remember, childcare subsidies are available to eligible parents who are working or in school, or who have been referred for help. Check out Reach for the Rainbow for other summer camp programs aimed at kids with special needs and their families.

And, find out more about the City of Greater Sudbury’s leisure programs. The city offers integrated summer playground programs for children with special needs.  It also has a swimming lesson policy that states that individuals unable to participate in group lessons due to special needs may enrol in private or semi-private lessons at the group rate. Call the City of Greater Sudbury -  Leisure Services Department at (705) 674-4455 ext. 2446 to see if either of these programs would be a good fit for your child.

Finally, the Access 2 entertainment card offers persons with disabilities free admission or major discounts for a support person at movie theatres and other attractions right across the country.



This content was prepared and reviewed by the City of Greater Sudbury and its partners. However, it should not take the place of advice from your health care provider or other professionals working with you and your child. 

Notice a broken link or an error or omission in this content? Email to let us know.