Upgrading your skills; finding work

Looking to complete your high school diploma, upgrade your skills, learn English or French as a second language or find a job? The links below can help you get started.

Learning opportunities

If you left school before obtaining a diploma, you can earn a high school equivalency certificate by taking the General Educational Development or GED test. The test offers people who are 18 and older, and who have been out of school for at least a year, an opportunity to demonstrate they have the same level of knowledge and skills as someone with a high school diploma.

The Sudbury Catholic School Board operates the St. Albert Adult Learning Centre. Here you can obtain your high school diploma, improve your literacy skills or learn English as a second language.

Rainbow Schools offer a variety of adult education programs, including the Adult Day School located at Sudbury Secondary School. Rainbow School Board's Alternative Programs at Barrydowne campus and N'Swakamok Friendship Centre help young people aged 14 to 16 and 18 to 20 who’ve not been successful in traditional learning environments.

For French-language learning programs geared to adult learners, check out CSGNPO's École Cap sur l’Avenir and CSCNO's Carrefour Options +.

Collège Boréal and Cambrian College each offer a wide range of programs for adult learners, including academic upgrading and English and French as second languages.

Here’s a list of organizations that focus on literacy and employment.

For English-language classes designed specifically for newcomers to Canada, check out the LINC program. French-language classes for newcomers are available at College Boreal.

Employment opportunities

The provincial government offers a wide range of programs to help Ontarians prepare for and find employment.

Check out this site for employment services located in and around Greater Sudbury.

Help with childcare

Finally, if you’re planning to return school or go to work, check out Finding child care that’s right for you and Paying for child care for advice on finding and help paying for quality child care for your family.



This content was prepared and reviewed by the City of Greater Sudbury and its partners. However, it should not take the place of advice from your health care provider or other professionals working with you and your child. 

Notice a broken link or an error or omission in this content? Email beststart@greatersudbury.ca to let us know.