Getting help through counselling

Getting help through counselling

Counselling can help you and your family deal with all kinds of life situations. It can help families through difficult times that follow a separation or divorce, the death of a friend or family member, the loss of a job, or moving to a new school or new community. And remember, you don’t have to be facing a crisis to benefit from counselling. Often, advice from a professional can help us deal with the kinds of challenges we face every day.

Counselling can involve groups of individuals who get together to discuss similar problems or concerns—domestic violence, for example. It can focus on individuals, couples and families—as is the case with marital counselling. Credit counsellors can help you balance your budget and deal with debt. Career counsellors can help you develop job-search skills.

Here’s a long list of the different kinds of counselling services available in Greater Sudbury, including links to service providers.

For parents

The Triple P Positive Parenting Program offers free counselling services to parents in Greater Sudbury. Go here to sign up for groups, seminars or one-on-one counselling about parenting issues.

For children (under 18)

The Child and Family Centre provides children’s mental health services in schools and the community. If your child or family is struggling with social, emotional or behavioural issues, call the Children’s Community Network at (705) 566-3416 to start a referral.

Or you or your child can meet with a Mental Health Clinician at the Walk-in Service at the Child and Family Centre. This service is offered on Thursday afternoons between 12:00 pm and 6:30 pm at the Frood Site at 65 Evergreen Lane downtown Sudbury. Call 705-525-1008 for more information about this pilot program.

For serious mental health issues, call Health Sciences North at (705) 523-4988, or if it's a crisis, call the Crisis Intervention Program, 24/7 at (705) 675-4760.

Go here for information about all of the Mental Health programs and services offered by Health Sciences North.

Other subsidized and free counselling services.

If your family doctor or nurse practitioner is part of a family health team or community health centre, you may ask to be referred to a social worker.

The Sudbury Counselling Centre offers general counselling as well as programs for women experiencing abuse, men who are abusive, male survivors of sexual abuse and children exposed to violence. The centre also offers reduced fees for low-income families. For information, call (705) 524.9629.

The Family Enrichment Centre offers counselling services to individuals, groups, couples, families, children and youth, as well as workshops dealing with topics such as marriage preparation, anger management and substance use.  Fees are based on family income.  For information, call (705) 670-0606

Credit Counselling Sudbury is a non-profit organization that helps with budget, debt and money management. For information, call (705) 560-0430.

If you’re facing a long wait for free counselling services, check with your employer, caseworker or family doctor to see if you’re covered by an employee assistance program (EAP); insurance benefits; third party coverage such as WSIB, Veteran’s Affairs or Ontario Works/ ODSP.


This content was prepared and reviewed by the City of Greater Sudbury and its partners. However, it should not take the place of advice from your health care provider or other professionals working with you and your child. 

Notice a broken link or an error or omission in this content? Email to let us know.